Walter's Visit to the UAE

Monday, April 10, 2006

A few observations so far

Okay, this is what's hit me as a "white American male" here in the UAE.

A) Man, I didn't know it, but I actually am quite American-centric. I thought I was pretty global, but every time I opened my mouth today during the class I was teaching, I was giving examples of something that is Western. Now I know - Western is truly all I know, all of my experiences. But I guess I just didn't realize it that much.

B) There are mosque's EVERYWHERE! Okay, yeah, I know - it makes sense. I'm in a Muslim country. Still. I'm a white boy, okay? Closest that I've come to seeing these many houses of worship is driving through some roads in the South (Georgia, Alabama) where there's a Baptist church on every corner. Except the women near the mosques don't have beehives. ;)

C) I *still* haven't seen any women in full berkas (sp?). I've seen many in headdresses and such, covered up, but no such luck on the full body berka. Evil though just ran through my head... Finding one, running up behind her, grabbing her berka and screaming "PEEK A BOO!". I'm so going to hell....

D) I'm not sure, but is it possible to OD on Indian food? See, the most popular AND bountiful food here is actually Indian veg food. I've had enough paneer (Indian style farmers cheese) in the last two days to stuff a couple of humps on a camel. But it's so damn good!!!!

--- this is the one I'm *most* proud of ---

E) THEY HAVE CRAZY HOMELESS PEOPLE IN THE MIDDLE EAST!!!!!! Okay, so you know that crazy lady that sits on the street corner downtown, who if you won't give a dollar to she'll throw a can of pee at you? Or maybe the guy who smells a little funny and mumbles to himself while he pushes a shopping cart onto the light rail car? Well they got 'em here. No, I didn't have to dodge a can of urine, but as I was picking up dinner tonight, there was a guy who was pushing a shopping cart down the side of the road, mumbling to himself and occasionally shouting at cars. Parked cars. Like they were jumping in the way or something....

So I've been here for two full days, and I'm already kindof immersing myself. It's beautiful outside - about 70F and quite nice. I'm already able to convert most prices in my head (dinner was UAE$19 - without a bat of an eye I was like, "Five bucks for all this? Damn!" - and of course was immediately worried because I said damn) and like I said, I'm eating Indian food like it's going out of style.

There's a trip to the sand dunes this weekend, but I may pass and take a tour with another group of people. You see, if you go to the dunes, you have to rent a car. And I think I'd rather boil my toes in oil before getting behind the wheel here. I think I mentioned in an earlier post about "Arabic left turns". And I drive crazy enough as is. I don't need to be influenced by these people!

My belly's full (paneer jalfrazie and masala dosa for dinner) and I don't wanna move... I've got a class to finish tomorrow, and a conference call with a client in the US tomorrow night. We'll see how much work I get done tonight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home