Walter's Visit to the UAE

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Random thoughts until I post "Oman, Day 2"

I know I've been here way too long! I was in the cab on the ride to the hotel yesterday, when I saw the following:




And I immediately translate into my head: 63359. Ouch! I was like "What the hell did I just do?". I think it's an avoidance technique. Remember what I said about cab drivers here? Well in the last two days, it's been particularly INTERESTING driving to and from work. Accident, schmaccident.... Anyway, so I must be studying Arabic without realizing it. I'm understanding WAY too much for just being here just over a week!

Second oddity: Downstairs just now, we were getting lunch provided, since we're having client meetings. I asked about the rice, if it was veg or non-veg. The caterer asked, "Are you Christian?" Of course I blurted out, "No, I'm vegetarian". She looked at me as if I had two heads. Then I realized she was asking because of the Muslim tradition of animal slaughter, etc. WEIRD!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home